Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tour

This weekend I've become aware of my total dependence on digital media and entertainment. On Friday, as I was in my room making sure I had everything for our two day tour, I realized that I had left my iPod down in my locker at the school building. When I went to pick it up I saw that, to my horror, it had absolutely no battery life. What was I to do? I faced a crazy long bus ride with absolutely no music! Thinking fast, I dashed off to the studio to "borrow" a splitter so I could share Logan's iPod. Feeling quite proud of myself, I headed for the bus. But when I boarded, I realized that because some guys had stayed behind, every one could have two seats to themselves. Now normally I would be happy about this because it's nice to have more room to stretch out in, but this time it was different. Since nobody was sitting beside me, I was completely iPodless. With nothing else to do, I stretched out on my seat and tried to get some sleep. This was a task in itself because I didn't have any earbuds to block out the general bus chatter, but eventually I managed to catch a few winks. After waking up, my mind wandered aimlessly from subject to subject (you can think of some pretty crazy stuff on a bus ride) until my dean (Jordan) turned around from the seat in front of me and started up a conversation. We talked about stuff (*cough cough*) for the rest of the trip. 
It was then that I realized how much I really didn't need my iPod. Although it is nice to have some music once in a while, I was forgetting about more important things like quality conversation. For the rest of the  tour I was able to read, think, and actually build my mind instead of having different music artist's propaganda loaded messages shoveled into my brain. And by the way, do you know how hard it is to actually think about something without your mind wandering to a different subject? It's ubber hard! I could probably start thinking about something deep like salvation and two minutes later be thinking about Goldfish crackers... It's pretty sad. But it's something I gotta pray about and work on! I learned some crazy stuff from Help In Daily Living, check it out. "The trials of one are not the trials of another, the duties that one finds light are to another most difficult and perplexing" (pg. 23). Sometimes it's hard for me to understand why I struggle with things that don't even effect others, but each one of us has our own battle to fight and that's why I can't depend on others and must depend wholly on Christ. Here's another one "Those who decline the struggle lose the strength and joy of victory" (pg. 28). Wow, 'nuff said. Anyways it has been a revelatory weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment